Monday, February 21, 2011

Things that substitue for actual things

Before we update on actual progress that's happened, we'll talk a little about life in between the progressive moments. When you're in transition in a house that was basically studs, you have to make do with a lot of things... or I should say, without a lot of things. The trick then is to come up with temporary solutions to stave off the insanity. They almost always cause pain to the aesthetic part of one's psyche, but pragmatism rules the day around here. Here are some instances of making do, which I'm sure will bring smiles to our faces some day when the real things are up and running.

Add style to your wardrobe and your decor in one easy step!
I do feel that I would be capable of this particular project, but for some completely unfathomable reason my dear husband seems to feel some trepidation about my ability to hang something in a way that's perfectly... what's the word.... level. No idea where he gets these ideas from. So, until he is able to hang the closet rods, I have improvised. Now I'm wondering if I really need curtains at all.



Mirror, mirror, on the wall... can you even see me at all?
If anybody has discreetly wondered lately why I appear to have applied my makeup by feel, or why my shirt is on backwards, or anything like that, it's probably because this valiant little guy is playing the part of the only reflective surface in the entire house. 


Eventually two nice big mirrors go up in the bathroom and bedroom, but in the meantime we're playing old-fashioned on this one. I call it my looking glass. Now, not having a large mirror is definitely good for my self-esteem (::smirk::) but I'm probably inflicting pain on people by making them try not to laugh at the fuax pax that I'm sure arise from me having no earthly idea how I look. To top it all off, this little mirror lives on the shower wall, so not only do I probably look funny, but the bottoms of my feet are perpetually damp.

At least it has a kitchen sink...
This corner boasts two entries in today's category ("things that substitute for actual things.") First, note the lovely piece of plywood playing the part of an actual counter.


I like to use the terms "rugged" and "rustic" to describe it, as opposed to the less evocative but accurate "impossible to clean." I promise to cook on another portion of counter if you ever come over for dinner. 

Second, the economy-friendly (Dollar Tree) utensil holder. 


Originally I was in an obstinate mood and was determined to wait to find my actual nice burgundy utensil crock, but the subsequent weeks of my cooking implements' scattered state (with a lot of box-searching yielding no crock) contrived to break my pride. The biggest issue is that the pitcher's lack of sturdiness as compared to the weight of the utensils is liable to cause the entire business to end up falling over and spilling utensils everywhere, therefore defeating the very purpose it was originally contracted to serve. 



Looking forward to the real things being in place, but until then, grateful for creativity stretched and memories made.

No comments:

Post a Comment