Saturday, February 26, 2011

Vignettes

These are small things, small areas, but we are grateful for the things that are done!

Vanity area.


An actual mirror, nice and big. We got it a the ReStore; attached to a broken medicine cabinet, priced at $70, which seemed a bit high for a broken medicine cabinet. We inquired of management and we all decided that the goal had been $7, which was a lot more reasonable. Jack took off the broken medicine cabinet part, and voila! a beautiful mirror for $7.

The little chest of drawers is very special to me, as it was my grandmother's sewing chest since my mom was little, and I remember it from my very early days. My grandparents recently moved and this was one of the treasures I got. It was a stained green before that didn't match quite right, so a quick paint job and it's ready for new use! I think of my Mum-mum every time I use it.

The Shelf. 



That's its official name, and you say "the" with a long "e", as in "the end" because it's just that special. My man made this for me before he was even my man, as a birthday present the birthday before he left for Mexico. It was neon green then, my signature color at the time. I absolutely loved it, When we moved into our apartment, we painted it a little more grown-up shade of green, but we never got a chance to finish the little frames in the doors. Here at this house we finally finished it! This is one of my most precious possessions and we plan for it to see many different shades in many different rooms in our family through the years. 

Bed Area
The bed we brought from our apartment, along with the the rest of our bedroom set, the nightstands and a bookshelf. We made this set before we were married. The bedclothes, lamps, and picture frames are a combination of wedding gifts and garage sale finds. The two stick arrangements were fun to do: I found the urn on my side almost two years ago for $2 at a garage sale, then accidentally broke it. Jack fixed it for me, and I started collecting sticks. The four different kinds of sticks were from four different garage sales over two years. (Total spent $7) but I was waiting for a second urn to make the arrangements. A few weeks ago I found the one on Jack's side at Community Forklift, for $5, because it was broken! So now the his and hers jugs have matching cracks. :)






The Bookshelf. 
Part of the same set that we made, this is one other part of the house that I actually have gotten set up.



 
Keepsake Shelf.
This is another example of my hubby's mad skills. One of our favorite places to get ideas (but not actually stuff, because it's expensive) is The Country House. They have a shelf they call a keepsake shelf, which we loved:


Price: $59
Here is my husband's version:


Price: $4 (for the knobs. the material was scraps, and the paint was free at the dump). I love my man! :)

So there you have it, there are actually a very few things that are done. Grateful for all bits of progress! :)

3 comments:

  1. Jack and Juli,
    It was very fun to look at your pictures! The parts of your house that are done are amazing! It has come a long way since we were there! Nice job! I can also picture Jack working with David and maybe learning a few of the tips he has used to help build you cool things for "nothing". May God richly bless you both! Linda Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quietly wasting away over here. Just waitin' for an update. Still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can haz update plz?
    kthxbai

    ReplyDelete